Friday, February 26, 2010

My Sweet Ruby

Well it doesn't seem fair to post about one child without posting about the rest..So here goes one for my Ruby.

Ruby was a shocker!! Elliot was 5mo. old when I discovered that we were once again pregnant. There was joy with that knowledge..but there was also some trepidation as to whether or not I was going to be able to be pregnant while caring for a baby and have two children so close together. One of the best blessings of Ruby's pregnancy was that it was easy and uncomplicated. The easiest of all three pregnancies.

On October 5th 2006 I was feeling contractions and they were coming fairly regularly, I got tired and figured if it was the real deal then I would wake up during the night. I really really didnt want to though as my baby shower was the next day. I woke up and felt fine but just to be sure Id make it to my baby shower that evening I laid on the couch or the floor almost all day and played with Elliot. That night I had my shower and it was filled with contractions but still no baby. The following morning my Mother and Sister in-law left and went home to Twisp. That day I cleaned..ran around..had cup after cup of cinnamon stick tea, and ate a ton of spicy salsa...bring on this baby!!

2:00 am: woke up to contractions..they were actually part of my dream. I got up..and started pacing. This felt very very real..I woke up Jason, but he did not believe me. I timed them, and they were about 3 min. apart. I called the hospital, called my mom to have her come watch Elliot, changed the bed sheets for my mom, and packed my bag. I then woke up Elliot and played with him for a while before I left. Once my mom arrived at 3am I was in a lot of pain.

3:30 am: We arrived at the hospital. Thankfully they brought me in right away! I was very obviously in labor so they got me in my gown and started getting me hooked up. One major unfortunate thing is that im a very very hard stick..two nurses were working on one arm each and neither of them could get a line in. It was soooooooo frustrating as I was having very painful contractions but I couldn't support myself by curling up since they were busy poking away at my arms. I was seconds away from chewing them out when one of them finally got a line in the crook of my elbow..fyi..worlds worst spot to have an IV!

My sister Erin arrived around 4am..cute, hair done, make up on as usual. She was so much fun to have in the room with us. Not only was she helpful but she was fun and funny..keeping me laughing. When they checked me I was a 10! But the baby was still very high up and I had to labor down before I could start pushing. I got my epidural and my internal monitor (since her delivery was a VBAC). It was frustrating since my epidural was uneven they would not let me roll to my left side. I really felt like I needed to and that that would help the baby turn and drop so that I could start pushing. Finally, my epidural got even enough that they let me switch sides and wouldn't you know..miss Ruby dropped and I was finally allowed to push.

7:30 am: the drama begins! I began pushing..but did not seem to have much support from my dr. and my nurse..they didn't seem to think I would be able to actually have a VBAC. No nurse attended to me during pushing which I felt was odd since at Elliots delivery a nurse was there the entire time. I pushed so hard that even my catheter came out, and Jason had to go get a nurse. At almost 9:30 am. I began to feel a lot of pressure, the nurse happened to stop in and I let her know. She left..?? The next thing I new the baby was crowning and I was in a lot of pain! I couldn't get my nurses button to work, so Jason ran out of the room in search of someone and my sister was yelling for help, as I was yelling ow ow OW!!! Nurses and Dr. Mallory swamped my room..I was in pain and they were prepping as quickly as I could and laughing...well let me tell you, when you are in pain in your "hoo hoo" you don't want to hear laughing..you want to help you end the pain by getting that baby OUT!!! Finally Dr. Mallory sat down and was coaching me when to push and Ruby was born!!!

I got to hold my sweet baby on my chest and hear her first cries!! The most wonderful experience in my life..deliver my child the way God intended it! No surgery!!!!

Unfortunately, because I was not cared for by a nurse I tore very very badly and needed a ton of stitches...but really it was all very well worth having my sweet baby girl! Ruby Lillian 7Lbs 6oz!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids under 4 and a hubby. We lead a crazy and busy life with Jesus as our center.